Vilanova dos Infantes and the Tribute Tower
The tower of Vilanova dos Infantes stands on the top of a hill in the centre of the medieval town of Vilanova dos Infantes, a few kilometres from the town hall capital. It is a medieval town where the medieval tower stands nineteen meters high, a vestige of the fortress built in the tenth century by Count Gutierre Menéndez, father of Rudesindus Guterri, bishop of Mondoñedo and viceroy of Galicia. It was demolished in 1476, after the Irmandiña Revolt. The most important modification to the building took place at the beginning of the 19th century, when it became the seat of the town hall.
Another monumental building is the parish church of San Salvador de Vilanova, which was built on a Mozarabic chapel by order of the mother of Rudesindus Guterri. In its interior it conserves a Romanesque Christ, whose cross resembles the branches of a tree.